One of the most beautiful stories of the Indian mythology is the story of Shri Durga. She is the Goddess who comes in dark times when Her children face danger. Last week, we created some illustrations to bring Her epic to life. In times of rediscovering the feminine power in our society, this story seems quite appropriate.
SHRI DURGA´S TALE
The demon, Mahisha, once performed severe penances to Shri Brahma.
– Lord Brahma, please make me immortal.
– All who are born must die. You cannot escape death.
– If I must die, Lord. Let it be at the hands of a woman.
– So be it.
– How can a woman, a helpless creature, kill me?
– You have as good as granted me the boon of immortality.
Mahisha and his army marched and started conquering many kingdoms.
On earth, they forced the devotees of Shri Shiva and Shri Vishnu to worship Mahisha.
– Worship Mahisha or die!
And so, rishis and saints prayed to the Gods.
– Oh God of Gods, please save us from this demon.
At the Kailash mountain, the abode of Shri Shiva, the Gods gathered.
And uniting their powers, from rays of light, a female form with a thousand arms came into being.
– O Devi, you are the origin of all worlds. You are the source of inner force. The source of all strength. You are Durga. Please destroy Mahisha and protect us.
The seas trembled. The earth shook and the mountains rocked.
Mahisha rushed out of his palace to find out what was happening.
– Who dares approaching my Kingdom?
– Ho a mere female!
No! I am no mere female! I have come to fulfil Brahma´s boon. You wanted to die at the hands of a woman, didn´t you?
After a long battle, Shri Durga killed the demon Mahisha and Her power can be felt in the heart.